Caramelised hazelnut scoops Great Taste Golden Fork for fifth generation ice cream parlour
On Sunday 17 October, the Great Taste Golden Fork from Northern Ireland was presented to Morelli Ice Cream from Coleraine, Derry, for its Morelli’s Caramelised Hazelnut Ice Cream. Sponsored by Invest NI, the trophy for best food or drink from Northern Ireland was announced at the Great Taste Golden Fork Reception at the Yorkshire Event Centre in Harrogate, as the largest and most trusted food and drink awards on the planet reached its exciting finale.
Out of 218 Great Taste 3-star award-winning products to be re-judged to find this year’s Golden Fork Trophy winners and the Great Taste Supreme Champion 2021, this rich and smooth ice cream with a deep bosky hazelnut flavour was one of 13 products to pick up the coveted trophy for their respective country or region.
Now operated by the fifth generation of the Morelli family, these small batch ice cream makers still use fresh double cream and butter from cows grazing on the lush green pastures of the Causeway coast. Toffee brown in colour and super creamy, this Caramelised Hazelnut Ice Cream is made with Ballyrashane Creamery’s Irish Double Cream, hazelnuts from Piedmonte in Italy and swirls of caramelised hazelnut nibs and a salted caramel variegato.
For more information about Morelli Ice Cream, please visit www.morellisices.com.
Facts and figures about Great Taste 2021:
- Established in 1994, Great Taste is organised by the Guild of Fine Food and is the world’s largest, longest standing and most respected food accreditation scheme for artisan and speciality food producers
- 14,113 different products were entered in 2021 from 108 countries
- 355 judges blind-tasted this year’s entries, including; Joanna Blythman, investigative journalist and food writer, cook, writer, stylist and voice of modern vegetarian cooking, Anna Jones, author, Olia Hercules, Kenny Tutt, MasterChef 2018 champion and restaurateur, food writer and cook, Xanthe Clay, presenter, author and tutor, Steven Lamb, baker and author, Martha Collison, and Kavi Thakrar from Dishoom, as well as food buyers from Selfridges, Fortnum & Mason and Partridges
- Socially distanced judging took place over 86 days at four venues, including Guild HQ in Gillingham, Dorset and the Guild of Fine Food’s London home, No. 42 Southwark Street, SE1
- 4,027 awarded a Great Taste 1-star – A food that delivers fantastic flavour. Approximately 30% of entries will achieve this rating each year
- 1,138 awarded a Great Taste 2-star – Above and beyond delicious – less than 10% of entries will achieve this rating
- 218 awarded a Great Taste 3-star – Extraordinarily tasty foods – less than 2% of products are awarded a 3-star each year – don’t leave the shop without buying it!
For further press information and high res images, please contact:
Amy Brice at Freshly Ground PR
+44 (0) 7717893123
For more information about Great Taste, please visit www.greattasteawards.co.uk.