Corleggy Hard Raw Goats Milk Cheese named Best Irish Cheese at World Cheese Awards 2016
Corleggy Hard Raw Goats Milk Cheese from Corleggy Cheeses has been revealed as the Best Irish Cheese, sponsored by Horgan’s Delicatessen Supplies, at the 29th annual World Cheese Awards, following over 3,000 cheeses being judged in a single day at the Kursaal Congress Centre in San Sebastián.
Taking centre stage on day one of the inaugural International Cheese Festival, the world’s largest cheese-only awards scheme saw a record number of entries this year, with the final Super Jury naming Kraftkar, made by Norwegian producer Tingvollost, as the World Champion Cheese 2016.
With a total of one Super Gold, five Gold, three Silver and seven Bronze awards going to entries from Ireland this year, the nation’s cheese clearly left a lasting impression with the international panel of judges at this truly global cheese event. Among the other winners flying the flag for Ireland at the World Cheese Awards, were a Gold winning Cashel Blue from Cashel Farmhouse Cheesemakers and a Silver winning Irish Vintage White Cheddar from Glenstal Foods.
Drawing entries from 31 different countries, from Australia to Italy and Mexico to Mozambique, cheese of all shapes and sizes made their way by bicycle, boat, plane, train, truck and car to the Kursaal Congress Centre in San Sebastián, via 12 consolidation points in all corners of the globe. 266 cheese experts from 26 different nations followed them to the Basque Country to taste, nose and grade over 3,000 cheeses in a single day, giving Bronze, Silver, Gold and Super Gold awards to worthy entries.
The final judging panel, made up of top names from the world of cheese, featuring cheese makers, buyers, retailers and writers, including Suzy O’Regan from Woolworths Foods in South Africa, Cathy Strange from Whole Foods in the USA, Roland Barthélemy, President of Guilde des Fromagers in France, and Mary Quicke from Quicke’s in the UK, then debated the top 16 cheeses in front of a trade and consumer audience, broadcast live on World Cheese TV, before crowning this year’s World Champion Cheese.
Click on the following links to access details of this year’s Top 16 Super Gold cheeses and the Top 66 Super Gold cheeses.
The International Cheese Festival took place at the Kursaal Congress Centre in San Sebastián from 16-18 November 2016. For more information, visit www.internationalcheesefestival.eus.
- The World Cheese Awards is organised by the Guild of Fine Food
- 2016 is the 29th year of the competition
- The planet’s biggest ‘cheese-only’ competition - no yoghurt, cream, butter or other dairy
- 3,021 cheeses from 31 different countries entered – including Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, England, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Mozambique, the Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Scotland, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the USA and Wales
- 266 judges from around the world travelled from 26 different countries to ‘nose’ and taste the cheese
- Judging broadcasted live on World Cheese TV
- A Super Jury of 16 judges decided the final winning World Champion Cheese