England’s farmers, fermenters, distillers and makers land Great Taste Golden Forks
Food and drink made in Essex, London, Hertfordshire, Cheshire, West Sussex and Gloucestershire were among 13 products to pick up a Great Taste Golden Fork Trophy on Sunday 17 October as Great Taste, the largest and most trusted food and drink awards on the planet, reached its exciting finale.
Out of 218 Great Taste 3-star award-winning products to be re-judged to find this year’s regional Golden Fork Trophy winners and the Great Taste Supreme Champion 2021, six producers from England picked up the top award for their region at the Great Taste Golden Fork Reception, held at the Yorkshire Event Centre in Harrogate following the first day of Fine Food Show North.
Great Taste Golden Fork from East Anglia, sponsored by Shire Foods East Anglia
S J Frederick & Sons from Roydon in Essex for its Great Taste 3-star award-winning Temple Farm Bronze Free Range Turkey.
Reared to the highest welfare standards, this traditionally reared free range bronze turkey is grown slowly to full maturity on a diet high in natural cereals, before being dry-plucked and game hung for a minimum of seven days.
Great Taste Golden Fork from London
Twickenham-based Sublime Butter for its Great Taste 3-star award-winning Ridiculous No55 Lobster & Crab Butter.
A hand-churned butter flavoured with British Isles lobster, Devon crab, caviar and fennel, resulting in an enticing and perfectly balanced butter, which melts in the mouth while being redolent of fresh seafood.
Great Taste Golden Fork from the Midlands, sponsored by Angel Refrigeration
Willy’s from Ledbury, Herefordshire for its Great Taste 3-star award-winning Willy’s Live Apple Balsamic Vinegar.
This rich Apple Balsamic Vinegar is made with a blend of pure English apple juice and organic, raw and unpasteurised Apple Cider Vinegar using apples from Willy’s 300-year-old orchards. Aged in oak using the solera system, it is masterfully balanced, rich and umami.
Great Taste Golden Fork from the North of England, sponsored by Fine Food Show North
Cheshire-based Three Wrens Gin for its Great Taste 3-star award-winning Apple Crumble Edition.
Made in Malpas, this 40% abv craft gin is distilled with juniper toasted oats, Cheshire apples, cinnamon, Demerara sugar and orange peel.
Great Taste Golden Fork from the South East, sponsored by Label.co.uk
West Sussex-based Slake Spirits for its Great Taste 3-star award-winning Sussex Dry Gin.
This 46% abv small-batch gin is made in Shoreham-by-Sea and distilled in a single-shot with lemon balm, lemon verbena, juniper, coriander, cassia, cardamom, angelica and fennel in premium grain spirit. It is then blended with spring water and tank conditioned for one month.
Great Taste Golden Fork from the South West, sponsored by Bishop Fleming
The Artisan Kitchen from Gloucester for its Great Taste 3-star award-winning Tropical Marmalade.
Handmade in small batches (just 11 jars at a time), using traditional Copper maslin pans, this thin to medium cut marmalade is packed with sweet oranges, pink grapefruits, lemons, limes, pineapple and passion fruit.
Facts and figures about Great Taste 2021:
- Established in 1994, Great Taste is organised by the Guild of Fine Food and is the world’s largest, longest standing and most respected food accreditation scheme for artisan and speciality food producers
- 14,113 different products were entered in 2021 from 108 countries
- 355 judges blind-tasted this year’s entries, including; Joanna Blythman, investigative journalist and food writer, cook, writer, stylist and voice of modern vegetarian cooking, Anna Jones, author, Olia Hercules, Kenny Tutt, MasterChef 2018 champion and restaurateur, food writer and cook, Xanthe Clay, presenter, author and tutor, Steven Lamb, baker and author, Martha Collison, and Kavi Thakrar from Dishoom, as well as food buyers from Selfridges, Fortnum & Mason and Partridges
- Socially distanced judging took place over 86 days at four venues, including Guild HQ in Gillingham, Dorset and the Guild of Fine Food’s London home, No. 42 Southwark Street, SE1
- 4,027 awarded a Great Taste 1-star – A food that delivers fantastic flavour. Approximately 30% of entries will achieve this rating each year
- 1,138 awarded a Great Taste 2-star – Above and beyond delicious – less than 10% of entries will achieve this rating
- 218 awarded a Great Taste 3-star – Extraordinarily tasty foods – less than 2% of products are awarded a 3-star each year – don’t leave the shop without buying it!
For further press information and high res images, please contact:
Amy Brice at Freshly Ground PR
+44 (0) 7717893123
For more information about Great Taste, please visit www.greattasteawards.co.uk.