Fifth generation flour mill rises to the top
Wessex Mill named Great Taste Producer of the Year
Celebrating the very best in food and drink, Great Taste, the world’s most coveted food awards, has reached its grand finale for 2018. Great Taste Producer of the Year was presented to Wessex Mill from Wantage, Oxfordshire and fourth generation flour miller, Paul Munsey collected the trophy on Sunday 2 September at the Great Taste Golden Fork Dinner where over 350 guests from the world of fine food gathered to hear the results of many months of rigorous judging.
The Munsey family of Wessex Mill has been milling for over 100 years, and this year alone scooped Great Taste accolades for 11 products, including its Great Taste 3-star winning Six Seed Bread Flour, 2-star Wholemeal Spelt Flour and 1-star Pasta and Pizza Flour. Sourcing their wheat locally and using a traditional roller milling process, Paul and his daughter Emily, who is studying to become the fifth-generation flour miller at Wessex Mill, produce exceptional quality flour, waving the flag for the wheat farmers that surround the Oxfordshire-based mill.
John Farrand, managing director of the Guild of Fine Food, explains: “Wessex Mill is a great example of a family business that is going from strength to strength, while staying true to tradition and heritage. We’re absolutely delighted to present Wessex Mill with this award and hope that this outstanding Great Taste achievement helps to cement its reputation as a leading speciality producer in the UK.”
Contact: Wessex Mill, 01235 768991, www.wessexmill.co.uk
The Great Taste Producer of the Year award was sponsored by Partridges.
A full list of all Golden Fork trophy winners is available from email@example.com.
- Great Taste is widely acknowledged as the most respected food accreditation scheme for artisan and speciality food producers
- A record breaking 12,634 different products were entered in 2018
- Over 500 of the most demanding palates, belonging to food critics, chefs, restaurateurs, cooks, producers and a host of food writers, journalists and social media influencers, blind taste each product
- Judging took place at the following locations:
- Guild HQ in Gillingham, Dorset, as well several other Dorset venues
- The Guild of Fine Food’s London home, No. 42 Southwark Street, SE1
- 192 awarded 3-star
- 1,207 awarded 2-star
- 3,254 awarded 1-star