Fresh, crisp and clean cider sparkles at Great Taste
Golden Fork from Wales announced
Celebrating the very best in food and drink, Great Taste, the world’s most coveted blind-tasted food awards, has reached its grand finale for 2016. The Great Taste Golden Fork for the best food or drink in Wales was presented to Monmouthshire-based Apple County Cider Co for its Dabinett Medium Cider, made from dabinett bittersweet apples. “Gaining its grip from the tannins as opposed to acidity”, judges described this as a very “quaffable” cider with a “wonderful apple juice centre”.
Out of 10,000 products entered into Great Taste 2016, the Dabinett Medium Cider was celebrated as the best tasting product in its region at the Great Taste Golden Forks Dinner held on Monday 5 September at the Royal Garden Hotel in Kensington, where over 300 guests from the world of fine food gathered to hear the results of many months of rigorous judging.
Contact: Stephanie Culpin, +44 (0) 1600 750835, www.applecountycider.co.uk.
The Golden Fork from Wales was sponsored by Food and Drink Wales and also nominated this year was Great Taste 3-star award-winning Bodnant Traditional Welsh Caerphilly from Conwyn-based Bodnant Welsh Food and Hilltop Honey Raw Thyme Honey made by Hilltop Honey in Caersws, Powys.
- 10,000 different products entered (Great Taste entry is capped at 10,000)
- Over 400 food and drink judges
- Judging took place across the UK and Ireland, including many sessions at the Guild HQ in Gillingham, Dorset, as well as several other Dorset venues
- This year’s Great Taste Roadshows saw Great Taste judged at Fulham Palace in London, Hotel Minella in Clonmel, Tipperary and Belfast Metropolitan College’s Titanic Quarter Campus
- 3,539 products awarded 1-, 2- or 3-star awards
- 141 awarded a 3-star
- Top 50 Foods announced in The Times on Saturday 6 August 2016
- EIGHT Golden Fork Awards for best regional food and drink
- ONE Supreme Champion