Oozing with quality, Shorthorn 4 Rib Roast wows Great Taste judges
Golden Fork from Northern Ireland announced
Celebrating the very best in food and drink, Great Taste, the world’s most coveted blind-tasted food awards, has reached its grand finale for 2016. The Great Taste Golden Fork for the best food or drink in Northern Ireland was presented to Hannan Meats from Armagh, Northern Ireland, for its Glenarm Shorthorn 4 Rib Roast, a product that has also been named Great Taste Supreme Champion 2016 (see separate press release). The judges heaped praise upon this exceptional product, which is dry-aged in a Himalayan Salt Chamber for a minimum of 28 days. The panel really were bowled over and couldn’t “believe that beef could taste so good”, saying that “to have the sweet, juicy and oozy flavour travelling through the meat and fat was commendable”. This “beef of joy” was a real hit with the entire panel, with one judge wanting to “be covered in the fat, sit next to a fire and then pick the cooked crust off themselves”.
Out of 10,000 products entered into Great Taste 2016, the Glenarm Shorthorn 4 Rib Roast was celebrated as the best tasting product in its region at the Great Taste Golden Forks Dinner held on Monday 5 September at the Royal Garden Hotel in Kensington, where over 300 guests from the world of fine food gathered to hear the results of many months of rigorous judging.
Contact: Peter Hannan, +44 (0) 2892 619790, www.hannanmeats.com.
The Golden Fork from Northern Ireland was sponsored by Invest Northern Ireland and also nominated this year was Hannan Meats’ Great Taste 3-star award-winning Glenarm Shorthorn Wing Rib Sirloin and Smoked Abernethy Butter made by Dromara-based Abernethy Butter.
- 10,000 different products entered (Great Taste entry is capped at 10,000)
- Over 400 food and drink judges
- Judging took place across the UK and Ireland, including many sessions at the Guild HQ in Gillingham, Dorset, as well as several other Dorset venues
- This year’s Great Taste Roadshows saw Great Taste judged at Fulham Palace in London, Hotel Minella in Clonmel, Tipperary and Belfast Metropolitan College’s Titanic Quarter Campus
- 3,539 products awarded 1-, 2- or 3-star awards
- 141 awarded a 3-star
- Top 50 Foods announced in The Times on Saturday 6 August 2016
- EIGHT Golden Fork Awards for best regional food and drink
- ONE Supreme Champion