Plump kippers catch the eye of Great Taste judges
Golden Fork from Scotland announced
Celebrating the very best in food and drink, Great Taste, the world’s most coveted blind-tasted food awards, has reached its grand finale for 2016. The Great Taste Golden Fork for the best food or drink in Scotland was presented to J Lawrie & Sons from Mallaig in the Highlands, for its Jaffy’s Kippers. With woody, smoky and nutty notes, “balanced by a lovely sweetness”, the judges really enjoyed this succulent and natural tasting herring, which is “traditionally cured and slowly smoked over oak fires.”
Out of 10,000 products entered into Great Taste 2016, the Jaffy’s Kippers was celebrated as the best tasting product in its region at the Great Taste Golden Forks Dinner held on Monday 5 September at The Royal Garden Hotel in Kensington, where over 300 guests from the world of fine food gathered to hear the results of many months of rigorous judging.
Contact: Jeff Lawrie, +44 (0) 1687 462222, www.jaffys.co.uk.
The Golden Fork from Scotland was sponsored by Scotland Food & Drink and also nominated this year was Great Taste 3-star award-winning Saddle of Venison by Amhuinnsuidhe Castle Estate Products, based on the Isle of Harris, and Smoked Applewood Dulse from Edinburgh’s Mara Seaweed.
- 10,000 different products entered (Great Taste entry is capped at 10,000)
- Over 400 food and drink judges
- Judging took place across the UK and Ireland, including many sessions at the Guild HQ in Gillingham, Dorset, as well as several other Dorset venues
- This year’s Great Taste Roadshows saw Great Taste judged at Fulham Palace in London, Hotel Minella in Clonmel, Tipperary and Belfast Metropolitan College’s Titanic Quarter Campus
- 3,539 products awarded 1-, 2- or 3-star awards
- 141 awarded a 3-star
- Top 50 Foods announced in The Times on Saturday 6 August 2016
- EIGHT Golden Fork Awards for best regional food and drink
- ONE Supreme Champion