Slow and steady wins the race, as pork steak snaffles Golden Fork
Golden Fork from the South West announced
Celebrating the very best in food and drink, Great Taste, the world’s most coveted food awards, has reached its grand finale for 2018. The Great Taste Golden Fork for the best food or drink from the South West was presented to Pipers Farm from Cullompton, Devon for its “deliciously juicy, beautifully soft and fabulously piggy” Saddleback Neck Steak. Slow-grown and hung on the bone for three weeks, this “immense” Saddleback Neck Steak made the Great Taste judges very happy, describing it as a “really delicious thing” with a “fantastic depth of flavour”.
Out of a record breaking 12,634 products entered into Great Taste 2018, the Saddleback Neck Steak, which is produced in harmony with nature to allow the native west country Saddleback pigs to enjoy a natural life, was celebrated as the best tasting product in its region at the Great Taste Golden Fork Dinner held on Sunday 2 September at the InterContinental Park Lane Hotel, London, where over 350 guests from the world of fine food gathered to hear the results of many months of rigorous judging.
Contact: Pipers Farm, Abby Allen, 01392 881380, www.pipersfarm.com
The Golden Fork from the South West was sponsored by Fresh Montgomery and also nominated this year was a Great Taste 3-star Seville Orange Marmalade & Vino del Naranja from Gloucester-based The Artisan Kitchen and Todenham Manor Farm’s 3-star winning 28-Day Dry Aged Rib of Beef on the Bone, which is produced in Moreton-in-Marsh.
A full list of all Golden Fork trophy winners is available from email@example.com.
- Great Taste is widely acknowledged as the most respected food accreditation scheme for artisan and speciality food producers
- A record breaking 12,634 different products were entered in 2018
- Over 500 of the most demanding palates, belonging to food critics, chefs, restaurateurs, cooks, producers and a host of food writers, journalists and social media influencers, blind taste each product
- Judging took place at the following locations:
- Guild HQ in Gillingham, Dorset, as well several other Dorset venues
- The Guild of Fine Food’s London home, No. 42 Southwark Street, SE1
- 192 awarded 3-star
- 1,207 awarded 2-star
- 3,254 awarded 1-star