Smoked rack brings home the bacon, as Great Taste judges reach for the Golden Fork
Celebrating the very best in food and drink, Great Taste, the world’s most coveted food awards, has reached its grand finale for 2018. The Great Taste Golden Fork for the best food or drink from Ireland was presented to Musgrave Retail Partners Ireland from Cork for its Signature Tastes Smoked Rack of Bacon. Expertly butchered, cut, cured and traditionally smoked with beechwood, this French trimmed rack of Hampshire bacon bowled the Great Taste judges over with its “delicious melt-in-the-mouth fat, well balanced sweetness, salt and smokiness”.
Out of a record breaking 12,634 products entered into Great Taste 2018, the “exceptionally juicy” Signature Tastes Smoked Rack of Bacon was celebrated as the best tasting product in its region at the Great Taste Golden Fork Dinner held on Sunday 2 September at the InterContinental Park Lane Hotel, London, where over 350 guests from the world of fine food gathered to hear the results of many months of rigorous judging.
Contact: Musgrave Retail Partners Ireland, Cathriona Geaney, 003532 14803474, supervalu.ie
The Golden Fork from Ireland was sponsored by Bord Bia and also nominated this year was a Great Taste 3-star winning Boyne Valley Bán from Meath-based Boyne Valley Farmhouse Cheese and The Smokin’ Butcher’s Sweet Dry Cured Smoked Collar Bacon, which is also produced in Meath.
- Great Taste is widely acknowledged as the most respected food accreditation scheme for artisan and speciality food producers
- A record breaking 12,634 different products were entered in 2018
- Over 500 of the most demanding palates, belonging to food critics, chefs, restaurateurs, cooks, producers and a host of food writers, journalists and social media influencers, blind taste each product
- Judging took place at the following locations:
- Guild HQ in Gillingham, Dorset, as well several other Dorset venues
- The Guild of Fine Food’s London home, No. 42 Southwark Street, SE1
- 192 awarded 3-star
- 1,207 awarded 2-star
- 3,254 awarded 1-star