SAVE THE DATE: World Cheese Awards 2022 1st – 2nd November 2022
SAVE THE DATE: World Cheese Awards 2022
1st – 2nd November, Newport, Wales
Key dates for the 2022 World Cheese Awards are as follows:
Open for entry: 25 July
Closed for entry: 20 September
Cheeses staged: 1 November
Judges arrive: 1 November
Judging: 2 November
Cheese, food & drink tours: 3 November
Results available: 4 November
John Farrand, managing director of the Guild of Fine Food – organisers of the competition, says: “It is with enormous pride and excitement that we are taking the 2022 edition of the World Cheese Awards to the ICC in Wales, supported by the Welsh Government.
“It is with mixed emotions that we make this announcement as everyone involved in the competition will know that we should have held the event this year in Kyiv, Ukraine. Obviously, that was not going to be possible, but we are working hard to ensure that the cheesemakers of that proud country are represented in November. This change of location is a postponement rather than a cancellation and we must thank the Welsh Government for its quick thinking and its support.
“To the World Cheese Awards community, we look forward to introducing you to the cheese culture, history and beauty of Wales and we’re excited to see you or your cheese in November.” Farrand concludes.
This year’s World Cheese Awards will be the 34th year of the largest ‘only-cheese’ event of its kind globally. Last year, the competition was held in Oviedo, Spain, and saw 4,079 cheeses enter from 45 different nations and six continents. A team of 250 judges, made up of technical experts, graders, buyers, retailers, and food writers, tasted and reviewed all the cheeses in one day. A super jury of 16 judges then came together to judge the World Champion Cheese.
How the judging works:
Judges work in teams of two or three, to identify any cheeses worthy of a gold, silver, or bronze award. They look at the rind and the body of the cheese, its colour, texture, consistency and, above all, its taste. Each of the teams then nominate one exceptional cheese as the Super Gold from their table.
These top-flight cheeses are the best in the world and are then judged a second time by a Super Jury made up of 16 internationally recognised experts, who each select a cheese to champion in the final round of judging. The Super Jury, representing all four corners of the globe, then debate the final cheeses in front of a live consumer and trade audience, before choosing the World Champion Cheese live on WCA TV, with cheese lovers across the globe tuning in for the drama.
As well as Bronze, Silver, Gold and Super Gold prizes, there are country and cheese specific trophies.
Keep up to date on socials: @guildoffinefood #worldcheeseawards
Notes to editors
- The World Cheese Awards is organised by the Guild of Fine Food.
- The Guild of Fine Food exists to support and encourage artisan food and drink producers and the independent delicatessens, farm shops and food halls who stock their food and drink. It organises a wide range of activities designed to promote excellence in all sectors of the trade and build closer links between producers and retailers.
- The World Cheese Awards 2022 is sponsored by Barbers, Deliziosa, The Fine Cheese Co, Le Gruyère AOP, Meny, Parmigiano Reggiano , Savencia Fromage & Dairy and the US Dairy Export Council.
- The World Cheese Awards 2022 trophy sponsors will include Agri Expo, Atalanta Plaza, Nippon, Kerrygold, Lacteo Network, Rupp AG, Specialist Cheese Makers Association, Mitica, Academy of Cheese, Ardis Group, Horgans, Rowcliffe, Rennet & Rind, Somerdale and Peter Green Chilled.
- The World Cheese Awards 2022 will be the 34th edition of the annual competition. The biggest ‘cheese-only’ competition in the world.
- In 2021, 4,079 cheeses were entered (7.2% increase on previous record). Entries represented 45 different nations from six continents. 250 judges from 38 different countries assessed the entries. A Super Jury of 16 judges selected the World Champion Cheese.
- Judging for the 2022 competition will be broadcasted live on WCA TV atco.uk/wca
- Images are available upon request from the Sharp Relations team.
Training contact form
Contact the Guild of Fine Food about training opportunities